The McDonnell Academy selects Scholars based on outstanding academic potential and on an applicants’ commitment to learning about international issues and global leadership.
What are We Seeking in a Scholar?
McDonnell Scholars come from varied degree programs and different countries in order to maximize the diversity of the program and create a rich dialogue and experience. McDonnell Scholars receive both financial and programmatic support. In selecting our Scholars, we consider academic distinction, global mindset, leadership, and community. Read more about the program.
The McDonnell Academy accepts applications from October through January 31st of each academic year.
The McDonnell International Scholars graduate fellowship is open to prospective graduate and professional degree students who plan to attend Washington University in St. Louis and enroll in one of a select group of full-time doctoral or master’s degree programs.
To qualify to apply the McDonnell International Scholars program:
- Applicants must apply to an eligible WashU doctoral or master’s degree program. Application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from and in addition to an application to a graduate degree program at Washington University in St. Louis. Applicants must apply separately to both the McDonnell Academy and the WashU doctoral or master’s program.
- Applicants must have earned or plan to earn a bachelor’s degree or higher before the end of the 2020-21 academic year.
- This fellowship is not available for undergraduate studies.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome. However, priority is given to international graduate candidates who are graduates of one of the Academy’s Partner Universities.
Are you eligible?
Not sure if you’re eligible to apply? Respond to the questions below to check your eligibility.
For more information about eligibility, programming, and financial support, please select one of the categories below which best represents your individual qualifications.
Priority is given to international graduate and professional candidates who are graduates of one of the Academy’s partner universities.
United States Scholar
Graduate and professional candidates who are U.S. citizens and have earned previous degrees in the United States are eligible to apply.
International graduate and professional candidates from international universities outside the partner network are eligible to apply.
Process & Requirements
Applications are submitted online. The following application materials should be received by the application deadline — January 31 at 11:59 pm CST.
- Candidate’s biographic information and academic history
- Personal essay
- Short video
- Recommendation letter
Online application requirements are outlined in detail on the application instructions page.
Application Evaluation & Decisions
Once an applicant record is ready for review, the admissions committee will begin the evaluation of applicant records. We appreciate your patience during this period, as some programs will evaluate through April. Decisions are typically made by the end of March, and usually no later than mid-April. Approximately 20 Scholars are admitted to the McDonnell Academy each year.
Your applicant dashboard within the online application will be updated to reflect the decision that is reached regarding your acceptance. Accepted individuals will also receive an email notification with further information.
Learn more about the graduate experience at WashU. Watch our video!