The McDonnell Academy accepts applications beginning October through January of the forthcoming academic year.
To be eligible to apply to the McDonnell Academy as a U.S. Scholar, an individual must be a U.S. citizen and is expected to have spent most of his or her life and earned previous degrees in the United States.
In addition to applying to the Academy, applicants must also apply to one of a select group of full-time doctoral or master’s degree programs. Application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from and in addition to, an application to a doctoral or master’s degree program at Washington University in St. Louis.
Financial and Programmatic Support
- Full tuition for study in a doctoral or master’s degree program. This support will continue as long as the Scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree for up to five years.
- A 12-month living stipend for each year that the Scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree. This stipend is set at $29,000 per academic year. (Some PhD programs offer additional stipend funds. Check with the department to which you are applying for more information.)
- A one-time travel allowance up to $750 to St. Louis to begin studies as a McDonnell Scholar.
- Travel support for one or more extended trips to a partner university in the McDonnell Academy network, to be arranged on a case-by-case basis. The Academy will also help in arranging on-site activities and support for living expenses at the partner university.
- Opportunity to reside in private, modern cohort housing within walking distance to campus. Read more about the McDonnell Academy Residences.
- Multifaceted instruction designed to develop the McDonnell Scholars defining attributes of global mindset, leadership, and community.
- Cultural experiences such as cohort trips to Washington D.C. and New York, and participation in international research symposia.
- Individual mentorship by dedicated faculty who support the Scholar’s academic and professional growth.
- Expansive network of students and alumni from across countries and disciplines.