The McDonnell Academy accepts applications beginning October through January of the forthcoming academic year.
To be eligible to apply to the McDonnell Academy, you must be a graduate of one of our Partner Universities and must also apply to one of a select group of full-time doctoral or master’s degree programs. Application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from and in addition to, an application to a doctoral or master’s degree program at Washington University in St. Louis.
Financial and Programmatic Support
- Full tuition for study in a doctoral or master’s degree program. This support will continue as long as the Scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree.
- A 12-month living stipend for each year that the Scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree. This stipend is set at $35,000 per academic year. (Some PhD programs offer additional stipend funds. Check with the department to which you are applying for more information.)
- A one-time travel allowance of $1,500 for travel to St. Louis to begin studies as a McDonnell Scholar.
- Annual travel allowance to support travel for leadership, academic and career development activities.
- Opportunity to reside in private, modern cohort housing within walking distance to campus. Learn more about McDonnell Academy Residences.
- Multifaceted instruction designed to develop the McDonnell Scholars defining attributes of global mindset, leadership, and community.
- Cultural experiences such as cohort trips to Washington D.C. and New York, and participation in international research symposia.
- Individual mentorship by dedicated faculty who support the Scholar’s academic and professional growth.
- Expansive network of students and alumni from across countries and disciplines.