The McDonnell Academy accepts applications beginning October through January of the forthcoming academic year.
To be eligible to apply to the McDonnell Academy, you must be a graduate of one of our Partner Universities and must also apply to one of a select group of full-time doctoral or master’s degree programs. Application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from and in addition to, an application to a doctoral or master’s degree program at Washington University in St. Louis.
Financial and Programmatic Support
- Full tuition for study in a doctoral or master’s degree program. This support will continue as long as the Scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree.
- A 12-month living stipend for each year that the Scholar is making satisfactory progress toward a degree. This stipend is set at $28,000 per academic year. (Some PhD programs offer additional stipend funds. Check with the department to which you are applying for more information.)
- A one-time travel allowance of up to $1,500 for travel to St. Louis to begin studies as a McDonnell Scholar.
- An annual travel allowance of up to $2,000 for a trip to the Scholar’s alma mater.
- Opportunity to reside exclusively with other McDonnell Scholars in attractive, yet affordable apartments within walking distance to campus. Learn more about McDonnell Academy Residences.