In recognition of the visionary role that Mark S. Wrighton played in founding the McDonnell International Scholars Academy, the Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows Program was created with a mission to recognize and mentor Scholars who have demonstrated outstanding potential for greater leadership.
The McDonnell Academy will admit up to two Scholars, selected in the fall with programming to begin in the spring, who demonstrate outstanding achievement and leadership potential in the Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows Program. Those selected are known as Wrighton Leadership Fellows.
Every McDonnell Scholar is eligible to participate in the Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows Program.
The Scholars selected must demonstrate strong academic achievement, demonstrated leadership in the Academy, Washington University, or the broader community, and a commitment to intercultural collaborations.
To be considered, you must complete the Wrighton Leadership Fellows application. Some applicants will be selected to interview with a member of the Wrighton Leadership Fellows Advisory Committee. Decisions will be made soon after your interview.
WHY THE WRIGHTON LEADERSHIP FELLOWS PROGRAM?
Core leadership skills transcend professions and disciplines, and these skills can be learned through study, mentorship, and most of all through practice. The Wrighton Leadership Fellows program is intended to help further develop leadership capacity through these routes.
The program recognizes that individuals will differ in their experience and their goals by allowing them to help design their own program. The program may involve giving fellows the special opportunity to interact with distinguished leaders in their area, to receive support to participate in an extra-curricular program or to receive funds to advance an initiative that they are leading. Faculty may recommend optional readings or other types of content.
Applications are due December 15, 2020
- Each spring, up to two McDonnell Academy Scholars will be selected as Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows and will be given tailored opportunities for leadership development. Funding for this program is sponsored by an Academy endowment.
- Preference will be given to applicants in a doctoral degree program, but applicants in masters programs may be considered.
- Selection of Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows will be made by an advisory committee appointed by the Director of the McDonnell Academy. Selection of Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows will be based on application materials such as a written proposal and interviews.
- Ideal candidates will have a demonstrated record of:
- Leadership in the Academy, Washington University, or the broader community,
- Motivation for taking on new challenges,
- Collaborating with people from different national and disciplinary backgrounds.
- Mark S. Wrighton Leadership Fellows will have the opportunity to develop their leadership capacity through activities and engagements. This may include opportunities to meet with distinguished leaders from various sectors, to receive support for an extra-curricular program or activity they want to participate in as part of their development. A proposal outlining a plan and purpose for such meetings or activities will be part of the application process.
- The previous points serve as guidelines which may be amended by the McDonnell Academy director.
Wrighton Leadership Fellows
The McDonnell Scholars selected must demonstrate strong academic achievement, demonstrated leadership in the McDonell Academy, Washington University, or the broader community, and a commitment to intercultural collaborations.